Friday, October 23, 2015

FeminismS

Who Are You?
Choose one of the three types of feminism—liberal, social, or radical—and explain how you fit into one of those definitions or explain how none of the definitions fit you. How would you define yourself in regard to gender and feminism?

I choose “D”—none of the above.  Wait, maybe I choose “E”—all of the above.  Ok, let me explain…
First of all, there are so many overlapping sub-categories of feminism, it seems inane to pick one.  Secondly, I absolutely despise labelling myself.  Call it the post-modernist in me, but I don’t like to be put in a box.  But couldn’t you say that makes me a postmodernist feminist?  Well…not exactly.  The bottom line is, there are aspects of various forms of feminism that I agree with and aspects that I can’t quite swallow.
When it comes to social feminism, I appreciate their push for equal representation and social activism (Cott 810).  I think we need social reform, and we need to change the system.  However, I am resistant to social feminism’s failure to deconstruct stereotypical views of what is considered to be “feminine.”  Cott points out in “What’s in a Name?” that critics such as O’Neill claim social feminism often sustained and even embraced what were traditionally considered “womanly, maternal, or domestic characteristics such as compassion, nurturance, and child-centeredness” (811).  I see myself a very nurturing and compassionate person, but I don’t think those traits are exclusive to my gender.  Men can be nurturing and compassionate, too.  Wouldn’t it actually be a better world if everyone was compassionate and empathetic and also strong and courageous.  On the other hand, I am a single, never married, not dating, never had kids, career focused, driven 36 year old.  Domestic roles don’t appeal to me in the slightest. Thus, social feminism holds to essentialism more than I do. 
With regard to radical feminism, I share “a disdain for, if not rejection of [patriarchal] hierarchy” and “a commitment to cultural as well as political transformation” (Rogers 619).  I am concerned with radical feminist issues such as “oppression, exploitation, patriarchy, domination, and resistance” (Rogers 619).  I see discrimination and injustice in our system and our culture, and I want to do something to change it.  I grew up going to Catholic school where patriarchy is the way and where women are still considered too inferior to be leaders such as priests or bishops.  I have been told by math teachers that I am not as good at math because I am a girl even though I always got high A’s in my math classes.  Compared to what a lot of women endured through history and around the world, I had it easy, too.  I look at the Salem Witch trials in our own national history, and I feel confident that I would have been burned at the stake back then.  (I even have a black cat!)  I love to read, I love to express my opinion, and I get very defensive if anyone tries to take that away from me.  I also agree with radical feminism that “the personal is political” (Rogers 619).  The best example of this in our society is the constant debate over a woman’s right to her own body.  Birth control is a really touchy subject for me because I need to be on birth control pills for health reasons…and I’m not even sexually active.  Birth control is not about sex or promiscuity—it is a woman’s personal health choice.  Being sexually active is a woman’s choice…and it doesn’t make her a whore if she is, nor does it make her a prude if she isn’t. I support Angela Davis’s ideas that “femininity is above all an ideology of inferiority,” but I don’t hold industrialization fully accountable (Rogers 619).  Gender discrimination came along a lot earlier than that.  Just think how “earth mother” worshipping Pagans were crushed by patriarchal Christian indoctrination. I can’t stand the discrimination that women still face; however, I am not radical in the sense that I want to use “transgressive or subversive tactics to overhaul structure” (Rogers 60).  Yes, I think that the system is very flawed and even broken, but I do still think that we have one of the best systems in the world.  I think we should work with that instead of trying to tear it down completely as a radical feminist would endorse.  The principles of equality are there, we just have to make sure that they are applied equitably to everyone.
This brings me to liberal feminism.  Here, I agree with the “focus on achieving equal between men and women” (Rogers 446).  Fighting for women to have “equal opportunities and outcomes” in similar situations as their male counterparts is very important to me (Rogers 446).  As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, I agree that the system has “flaws that must be fixed to promote gender equality and justice” (Rogers 447).  However, I would edit that definition by taking out gender because I think the issues of inequality spread much farther than gender.  We must include inequalities that result from all forms of discrimination—race, ethnicity, age, sexual preference, geography, socio-economic status, class, religion, and so on.  This would be where I digress from the liberal feminists.  As Rogers posits, liberal feminists “largely accept the status quo” (447).  To me, gender equality is a part of a larger struggle for human equality.  To me, this involves questioning all aspects of the status quo including gender but also including the norms and stereotypes that come along with race, class, religion, ethnicity, and so on.
So now you’re probably starting to think, “Wow, she sounds like a post-modern feminist!”  I wish it were that simple.  Just like the other varieties of feminism, there are some points upon which I agree with post-modern feminists, yet there are others that still don’t sit right with me.  I agree with post-modern feminists in their belief that gender identity is constructed and can thus be deconstructed and reconstructed.  I fully support Butler’s claim that identity is “a performative phenomenon” that is “heavily regulated within institutional regimes” (Rogers 584).  Today, at the college where I work, I just gave a lecture about deconstructing white privilege and institutional racism.  Institutional gender discrimination is no different to me.  I actually used the example in my presentation of Ellmann’s stereotypes of femininity.  I talked about how women are categorized as archetypes such as the domestic goddess or the evil witch (Moi 33).  I asked the group how we can be both polar opposites at the same time, and I explained how the stereotypes start to contradict and deconstruct themselves.  Like a post-modernist, I don’t believe gender is a dichotomy.  I tend to think of it as more of a spectrum…where well balanced individuals are somewhere in the middle.  I view gender as more of a Taoist might…where there is some masculine in the feminine and some feminine in the masculine…the ideal is balance.  At least in Taoism, the duality is not in opposition.
I think this is where I start to diverge from a strictly post-modernist perspective.  I might be brainwashed by Enlightenment thinking, but I do think that there is some truth to universality and human nature.  I think we are both our “nature” and how we were “nurtured.”  For example, I believe that everyone everywhere can experience things like gratitude, hope, fear, loss, and so on.  We don’t all feel it the same way or experience it the same way, but we are all human, and these things are a part of the human condition, in my opinion.  For example, most religions across the world express gratitude as a part of their belief system.  So for me, gratitude is a positive part of the universal experience of “being” human.  Also, as a former environmental engineering major, I cannot ignore science.  I see mother lions nurture and protecting their cubs while the males go off and hunt…it is instinct that drives them.  Likewise, only female mammals can produce milk to feed their young. We have consciousness and opposable thumbs, but we are still animals and still have instincts and intuition when push comes to shove.  I can’t ignore that in nature there exists femininity and masculinity that correspond to biological sex.  However, unlike many creatures in the animal kingdom, we have an exceptional ability to learn and to self-identify ourselves.  Men can learn to be nurturing; women can learn to hunt.  Thus, I haven’t completely and entirely ruled out some notion of essentialism.  However, I do believe that human beings can self-actualize more than other animals, and this not only leads us to construct gender categories and stereotypes, it allows us to overcome them. 
So maybe you should call me an “on the fence” feminist!  Or, maybe, I’m a Hricovian feminist!  All I know, is that I want change, I hate hate, I loathe discrimination, I CAN’T STAND being told I can’t do something because I’m a girl.  I want a world where all human beings are granted equal access to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”  I want to live in a world where differences are embraced and celebrated not feared and shunned. To me “same” does not mean “equal.”  I believe strongly in the power of education and the power of the pen, but I think activism also needs to happen.  I think we need to start with Gandhi’s advice to “BE the change we wish to see in the world,” and I do my best to live my life that way.  I identify as a woman, I was born female, but I defy feminine stereotypes at every turn.  Often, lacking better vocabulary, I refer to myself as being a “tom boy” or not being a “girly girl.”  Yet, the post-modernist in me cries out to deconstruct those very stereotypes.  Ultimately, I think each and every one of us unique and our own balance of “masculine” and “feminine.”  We all sit in different positions in the gender spectrum, but no one position is greater than another. 

Works Cited
Cott, Nancy F. "What's in a Name? The Limits of 'Social Feminism;' Or, Expanding the
Vocabulary of Women's History." The Journal of American History 76.3 (1989): 809-32.
Web. 17 Oct. 2015.
Moi, Toril. Sexual/Textual Politics. New York: Routledge, 2002. Print.
Rogers, Mary F. “Liberal Feminism.” Encyclopedia of Social Theory. Thousand Oaks, CA:
SAGE Publications, Inc, 2005. eBook Academic Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 18 Oct.
2015.
Rogers, Mary F. “Postmodernist Feminism.” Encyclopedia of Social Theory. Thousand Oaks,
CA: SAGE Publications, Inc, 2005. eBook Academic Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 18
Oct. 2015.
Rogers, Mary F. “Radical Feminism.” Encyclopedia of Social Theory. Thousand Oaks, CA:
SAGE Publications, Inc, 2005. eBook Academic Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 18 Oct.

2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment