Friday, April 27, 2012

Lightning and Downpours in Mars



Yesterday we had a huge invitation in Mars (Pennsylvania, not the planet hahaha)!  It was really chilly and soggy, and we had two thunder storm delays...putting the lengthy meet behind by about 2 hours.  I left a little early to get a head of the buses and got home around 9:30 p.m....it started at 1:00 p.m..  Today we are off to the Hempfield HS Track (my alma mater) for an away meet.

For this invitational meet, I was only allowed to run two hurdlers in the boys and girls races.  One boy hurldler was hurt and didn't run...the other took a nose dive over the last hurdle and is covered in brush burns now and unfortunately didn't finish!  The brush burns gave me flash back to the time I ate some of Jeannette's cinder track and sprained my ankle...luckily he walked away with just brush burns and bruises.  I still have cinders in the scars on my knees and elbows!







For the girls 100m hurdle race, the girl who is usually my lead hurdler ran some other sprinting events to try to help us get some team points.  Each athlete was permitted to run in only three events...AND she placed second in the 100m dash and also earned medals in the 400m relay and 1600m relay.



So my 2nd and 3rd place hurdlers ran.  The 2nd place girl ran her best time ever in both the trials and the finals...17.5 seconds.  With that performance the student beat the teacher...since the best time I think I had was 17.6.  Unfortunately she hit a lot of hurdles in the finals and ended up in 7th place and missed a medal by one...or as Mr. Colland used to say "x+1".

Overall the team did pretty good winning lots of medals...especially in the relays. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment